<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saabaru

All about my Saab 9-2x

Friday, May 20, 2005

mod·u·late

v. to vary the amplitude, frequency, or phase of (a carrier wave or a light wave)

Last night I installed an FM Modulator in the Saabaru, so I can hook up the iPod. In my Chevy Tahoe, I have installed an Aux-in adapter, and it sounds great. Unfortunately, that is not possible with the 'premium' stereo in the 9-2x. I knew getting into it that the sound quality would not match that of the Aux-in, but a FM signal is better than no signal at all....

So, I purchased an FM Modulator from David Navone (part N-724), and a Ground loop isolator from Radio Shack (part 270-054).

The install took about an hour. Piece of cake. Here are pics:

I unscrewed the shift knob and pried the facia off.


I then pried the front dash facia off. (carefully - using taped wrapped screwdriver)


Revealing the stereo (held in by 6 screws)


Stereo removed



Back of stereo. What is that square connector? Hmm maybe there IS a CD changer port??


FM Modulator



Powered up the modulator. Connected Antenna.


Ground Loop isolator connected to modulator via RCA cable. A headphone jack comes out the other end.
I then popped the ashtray out of the dash, and ran the headphone jack and the Modualtor's power switch into that area.



Back together again. The headphone jack runs thru the ashtray area and convienently into the Belkin iPod auto adapter.

More pics here

Everything you want to know about iPods in Imprezas


Comments:
Thanks for the pictures. Have you been able to find out anything about the "CD changer" socket? Also, how would you rate the FM mod quality (worse/at/better than the best reception FM station)?
 
All I can tell is that there is no aux-in for a CD changer, etc.. so the best idea is to get a new head unit....

The sound is really not all that bad.. The 'premium' speakers are not good, so if I had better speakers, I definately would notice more of a difference, but so far so good.
 
Trying to decide whether to install the N-724 or the N-725 in my new 9-2x Linear. Does the N-725 really amount to the same thing as your N-724 with a ground loop isolator?

-Velvet Elvis (on Saab92x.com)
 
P.S. Your installation pictorial is excellent!!
 
What I did was put a loop isolator in the speaker line (connected to the RCA outs). What the N-725 appears to be is a loop isolator in the GROUND line instead. I assume it would be better located there, rather than in the speaker line out.

That being said, I have no issues with interference / humming / etc with my setup.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  


9-2x links

My 9-2x Photo Album

forums

Saab92x.com
Saabcentral
Saabnet
NASIOC
ClubWRX
I-Club
Scoobymods
Fatwallet thread

archives

  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005